Monday, February 6, 2012

Hey, it's Monday!

I don't really want to talk about the Superbowl because I just didn't really care about the teams this year. I loved the half-time show like candy, but there's not much more I can add to that. However, there was some fair bit of movie news this weekend, some of which I actually care about.

So let's talk about Battleship (trailer here). I kinda loved the trailer for it! I don't mind that it looks like Transformers, I kinda hope that means there will be a lot of really cool explosions. Since my major issue with the Transformer movies won't even come up -

This guy and his 'wacky' family

- I'm totally on board for this one. All I want from this film is for things to explode in cool ways and to hear Liam Neeson give just one inspirational speech (or verbally threaten terrorists, I'm not picky). Is that too much to ask?

In case you hadn't heard some slightly older news, there's probably going to be a Blade Runner sequel. The new news is that Harrison Ford is supposedly negotiating to appear in it. The producer has said in the past that neither Deckard nor Ford would be showing back up in the sequel. Which makes sense from the "Deckard was a replicant" standpoint, although I imagine it was partly because they didn't think Ford would be amenable to a remake. The news seems shaky at best, but I am definitely curious as to where they're going with this. I know a lot of people are shouting BETRAYAL but I think they could make a really decent film, there's a lot of material in that universe just waiting to be picked up.

Speaking of sequels, one I'm really excited about is the new Riddick film. Vin Diesel will reprise his role in a new sequel that is filming right now, and the official plot summary for the movie has been released. The plot looks a little closer to the plot of Pitch Black, and supposedly they're trying to embrace the feel of that film better in this movie. I hope they can, but I'll probably watch it either way.

I guess I am a bit of an optimist. If you have thoughts, leave me a comment and we'll talk about  'em.

2 comments:

  1. I actually have the polar opposite opinion on that Battleship trailer. I sat there going "just what the hell is this foolishness?" through most of it. But I'm sure you are right on the explosions part of it at least.

    Not sure how I feel about that Blade Runner sequel. I prefer Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? to Blade Runner itself, technically, so I'm not sure if the sequel will try to show more of the world we see in the book but not in the film, or just take what was in the movie. Don't know if I'd really prefer Ford in it or not, I guess it all just depends on what the plot is.

    I do agree with you on Riddick though! I didn't even mind the first Chronicles of Riddick, though I think that was mostly because of Vin Diesel + Karl Urban. I haven't watched it since it came out so I guess I didn't exactly fall in love with it. Regardless I'm excited to see another movie set in that universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Noel pointed out, at some point the aliens fire actual battleship pegs at Captain Neeson's vessel. (1:52 or so in the trailer). It's based off the thinnest franchise imaginable, I'm okay with a beautiful disaster. Again, cool explosions and Liam Neeson saying cool stuff. I don't ask for much.

    It seems like Scott didn't agree until his producer swore they would not just rehash the first movie, so here's hoping.

    Glad we're on the same page for Riddick.

    ReplyDelete